More than Dick and Jane

12:38 PM Posted by Erin Tales



I always enjoyed reading and collecting children's books. It definitely correlates with my degree in elementary education, my experience working for a company that publishes articles online for for beginning learners, my own collection of short stories, and raising a toddler and a baby. It is the latter that really drives my interest in stories geared for little ones.

I ask myself, "Why should I read this story to my boys?" Are the illustrations eye-catching? Is the text purely for fun? Is there a lesson to be learned? Is it repetitive? Does it teach colors, counting or other useful skills? Does it instill a love of reading? Or, most importantly, does it instill a love of reading in my child?

We've come a long way since the basal reader Dick and Jane. Now we can bring delightful characters invented by Sandra Boynton, Olivier Dunrea, Laura Numeroff, Leslie Patricelli and more into our home and yours. And feel free to jump in and let me know what you think of these authors or titles, how your kids react to the stories or other stories you suggest we read and chat about.

I hope to introduce an author or subject a week with More than Dick and Jane. So come back Monday (and often) to see what is on our reading list this week.
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

0 comments:

Post a Comment